Tuesday, March 17, 2009
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
3 eggs2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups bread, torn into small pieces (crust too)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1. In medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat milk just until film forms over top. Combine butter and milk, stirring until butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly add milk mixture.
3. Place bread in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
4. Sprinkle with raisins if desired. Pour batter on top of bread.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Serve warm.
Mom made this in the winter. She always baked it in the big round pyrex cassarole dish. It made the house smell so good while baking. Dad liked it warm and my sister and I liked it cold, which ever way we ate it we loved it!